The Bedford Sixth Form 16-18 Bursaries

We offer a range of financial support schemes to help young people aged 16-18 during their course. Funding is provided by the government and enables us to make discretionary awards to those young people assessed as facing the greatest financial barriers to participation in education. If you are aged 19+ please visit our Adult Support Fund page.

Academic Excellence Bursary This is a non means-tested bursary of £4,000 paid in instalments over your two years of study. To qualify for this bursary you must have at least 8 GCSEs grades A* - B, including Mathematics and English Language, with at least 4 GCSEs at A* or A AND study our full-time A-Level or equivalent Level 3 programme at The Bedford Sixth Form.
Travel Bursary This is a means-tested bursary of £450 to help with the cost of travelling to The Bedford Sixth Form. It is only available if you do not receive subsidised travel through your local authority, you live more than 3 miles from the campus and have a household income of less than £30,000.
Vulnerable Learner Bursary You could get up to £1,200 if at least one of the following applies:
  • you’re in or have recently left local authority care
  • you get Income Support or Universal Credit in your name
  • you’re disabled and get both Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), and either Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) in your name.
Course Costs Bursary You could get up to 90% off essential course costs such as kits, uniforms, books or trips.
Discretionary Hardship Bursary For students aged 16-18 in cases of exceptional financial hardship we may also be able to provide support of up to an additional £100 per term on top of support you may already be receiving, subject to a household income of £16,190 or less. This is awarded if funds are still available, after priority is given to all essential support funding for applicants.
Meal Bursary You may qualify for a meals’ bursary if you are aged 16-18 and have a household income of £16,190 or less. You can apply for this through the 16-18 Bursary scheme.
Childcare Support If you’re a parent aged 16 to 19, the government’s Care to Learn scheme could pay up to £160 per child per week towards your childcare and travel costs while you’re learning. If you are aged 20+ and receiving the Advanced Learner Loan you may receive childcare help through the Sixth Form’s Advanced Learner Loans Bursary.


To qualify for our 16-18 bursaries, you must:

  • be aged over 16 and under 19 on the 31 August before the start of the academic year
  • have the legal right to be resident in the United Kingdom at the start of your study programme and have been ordinarily resident in the UK (including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) for three years prior to the start of the academic year
  • have a household income of £30,000 of less and/or be in receipt of a means-tested benefit.

The table below provides information on acceptable proof of household income. Please note:

  • Your household includes whoever is supporting you financially whether that is your parents/guardians, step-parents or your parent’s partner
  • If you are living independently from your parents then you will have to provide evidence of your income and anyone else who is supporting you such as other family members or a partner.

Household income Evidence required Bursaries you can apply for 
Over £30,000 None required Not eligible for any bursaries
£16,191 - £30,000
  • three recent payslips
  • most recent Working Tax Credit Notification (including the page that confirms household income)
  • Travel Bursary
  • Course Costs Bursary
Less than £16,190
  • three recent payslips
  • most recent Child/Working Tax Credit Notification (including the page that confirms household income)
  • letter from DWP/Local Authority or bank statement showing the benefit received
  • Travel Bursary
  • Course Costs Bursary
  • Discretionary Hardship Bursary
  • Meal Bursary
  • Living independently
  • Looked After Child
  • Care Leaver
  • letter from Social Worker/Local Authority stating your care status
  • proof of Income Support and tenancy agreement in your name
  • written confirmation of previous care by your leaving care services (must show more than 13 continuous weeks between the ages of 14 and 18
  • proof of your receipt of both Disability Living Allowance and Employment Support Allowance or Universal Credit
  • Course Costs Bursary
  • Vulnerable Learner Bursary
  • Meal Bursary

How to apply

Please contact 01234 291444, email or download the application form directly.

YouTube icon
Instagram icon Moodle icon